We finally did it! We gathered enough sap from the four maples we tapped in our backyard to boil it into syrup. This was a perfect activity for the first day of spring to share with the girls!
As you can see from the first photo above, we had a decent amount of sap. Two of the white buckets were almost full, one was about half full and the blue container had about 1/4 sap in it. We boiled and boiled and boiled. For the ENTIRE DAY. Approximately 8 hours to be exact and this is what we got:
Yep. That’s it! All of that sap for not even a half of a jar of syrup! But, OMG it was the most absolute delicious syrup we have ever tasted and the girls were amazed that they were able to make their own from trees in their backyard. Fresh, unprocessed and pure.
Of course, we had pancakes the very next morning. Our syrup got firm in the refrigerator so I’m thinking I likely cooked it just a bit too much. At the very end of the process, it can go from the right temp to cooking too much pretty quickly. I think I learned this time around and hopefully will do better next time. In either case, we were able to warm up the syrup and it was fine.
Definitely hooked on the process!